Friday, January 25, 2008

Whither Thou Goest, Capitalism? Morality, Amorality, or Immorality?

The blog authors got into a lively debate today about several things, culminating in the discussion of whether capitalism was amoral or immoral.  Two of us (Jason and I) argued that it is amoral, as capitalism is a concept with no conscience, and that while individuals can act within that concept in a moral or immoral manner, the system itself cannot.   Brian argued that yes, of course the system can be immoral, if it has immoral results. 

I had difficulty with this concept because of my abstract thinking, but, as always, Brian makes me re-think my premises.  Unable to stop the questions in my head from Brian's points after our discussion had ended, I did some research.  While I was just SURE that the three of us were the first group on the planet ever to have this philosophical debate (I mean, our capitalist system just evolved on its own, right?), turns out other people are also having the same discussions, and several think the system is mostly moral.  I'm not nearly as smart as I think I am (we're nearing deficit territory), which likely comes as no surprise t0 many of you, and which only makes me want to be more educated about it.  

So, I turn to you good folks out there who may be reading this (including my co-authors) for any advice on reading materials about this issue. I'd like some book recommendations, both on the question of whether a system can be moral or immoral and on proposed answers to problems with capitalism, irrespective of the author's opinion on the question in this blog's title.  Anyone?

(It's probably not my turn to post, guys, but I figured a call for assistance doesn't count.  Forgiveness requested for jumping to the head of the line.  And I'm loving the discussions and what they're making my brain do.)
 

No comments: